What is Psoriasis?
Psoriasis is a chronic skin condition where the skin cells build up faster than normal, causing inflammation and scaling of the skin. Symptoms range in severity for each person, but common symptoms include:
- Patches of skin that are dry, flaky, peeling, and scaly.
- Pain and stiffness of joints.
- Rashes and redness.
- Inflamed tendons.
- Painful lesions on the skin.
- Dandruff on the scalp.
- Discoloration of the skin.
- May also affect mental and emotional wellbeing due to feeling hopeless about finding a solution.
Causes & Treatments
While the exact cause of psoriasis is unknown, it’s most commonly assumed to be related to issues with the immune system, specifically with a type of white blood cell called a T-cell; normally designed to protect the body from infection and disease. When you have psoriasis, these T-cells become overactive, triggering inflammation and causing skin cells to be produce at a much faster rate than what’s considered to be normal. Because our bodies aren’t able to naturally shed dead skin cells that fast, the skin cells begin to pile up on each other, resulting in some or all of the psoriasis symptoms listed above. Other causes include genetics, diet, and environmental triggers such as stress, injury, medication, and infection.
A cure for psoriasis is currently unknown, but treatments and natural remedies may help offer relief to some folks who have the condition.
Common medical treatments include:
- Medications prescribed by your doctor (often taken orally or by injection).
- Phototherapy or light therapy where the skin is exposed to ultraviolet lights under medical supervision.
- A change in diet.
- Topical treatments applied to the skin that are purchased over the counter or by prescription.
The Problem With Commercial Skincare Products & Psoriasis
When we found out that the average bar of soap contained 15-20 chemicals, we knew it was time for a change. Would you want to wash your sensitive skin with soap made using GMO oils, harsh chemicals, synthetic detergents, dyes, fragrances and other ingredients? Sadly, this is what most skincare products are made of.
Keeping your skin healthy and clean with products made using all-natural ingredients can be a huge help in easing symptoms associated with psoriasis. And while this condition is not able to be “cured” from the outside, our collection of natural soaps and other natural skincare products are more soothing and hydrating than compared to commercial products you’ll find in most stores.
As your body’s largest organ, the skin is capable of soaking chemicals and toxins right into your bloodstream. Does this scare anyone else?
That’s why it’s important to think twice what you put on your skin, including what you use to wash it. Many ingredients used in other soaps and skincare products have been linked to horrible conditions such as Alzheimer's, cancers, and other diseases. Avoiding these ingredients is crucial! here’s a rundown of ingredients we avoid:
- GMO Oils: Corn, soybean, canola, and those labeled “vegetable” oils (which are most likely corn or soy).
- Parabens: Used in lotions and creams, preservatives that have been linked to cancers.
- Phthalates: Used in fragrances and lotions, these preservatives have been linked to various cancers. Here at JUSTBLiSS we ONLY use phthalate free fragrances!
- Aluminium: Used in deodorants, has been linked to Alzheimer's.
- Dyes: Synthetic components made from who-knows-what, linked to all sorts of issues.
- Alcohols: A common ingredient linked to dry skin.
Here are 3 label reading guidelines to consider when choosing the best skincare products for psoriasis:
- Can you read and understand the ingredients?
- Are fragrances listed (i.e. chemicals and toxins)?
- Are GMO ingredients listed? You can’t always recognize GMO ingredients (and they are most definitely not labeled GMO.)
It may be time to look for all-natural options that replenish your skin instead of causing further damage. After all, these “good” ingredients will also potentially be absorbed into your skin. But first, let’s dive deeper into the mystery of psoriasis and current treatments.
What Are the Best Skincare Products for Psoriasis?
There are a variety of benefits that all natural soap and other hemp seed oil products can offer the skin. Before you use just any “sensitive formula” skincare product, it’s important to remember that not all skincare products are created equal.