Self-Care is your super power to life!
Stress! This little word can cause so much chaos in our lives.
Being an adult sometimes comes with overwhelming responsibilities. There are targets to meet at work, and there is a LOT of work to do at home, from running a household to homeschooling...The only way to be at peace with yourself is by embracing the numerous responsibilities and taking some time to focus on what is essential, and what is not. All the stress relief activities in the world won't help if you don't see self-care as essential!!
What is Self-Care?
Self-Care is a conscious, or deliberate, act one takes in order to promote your own physical, mental, and emotional health. There are many forms self-care may take. It could be ensuring you get enough sleep every night, stepping outside for a few minutes for some fresh air, not checking e-mails at night when you know it affects your sleep, or even something as simple as having a morning shower with the best natural products available...
Why is it important?
Self-care is vital for building resilience toward those stressors in life that you cannot eliminate. When you have taken steps to care for your mind and body, you will be better equipped to live your best life...Unfortunately, most people view self-care as a luxury, rather than a necessity or priority. Consequently, they are left feeling overwhelmed, tired, and ill-equipped to handle life's inevitable challenges.
Self-care encourages you to maintain a healthy relationship with YOURSELF so that you can transmit the good feelings to others. You cannot give to others what you don't have yourself. When you pay adequate attention to your well-being, you are most definitely not considering your needs alone. You are reinvigorating youself so that you can be the BEST version of yourself for the people around you.
Some tips to improve your well-being
It really is important to assess how you are caring for yourself in several different areas of your life so you can ensure you are caring for your MIND, BODY, and SPIRIT!
1. Pay attention to your physical health. The body and mind have a unique connection, and it is difficult to be in high spirits when you are not feeling good about your body.
2. Do some exercise every day. You really do not have to join a gym or buy a treadmill to do some exercise. Just go for a walk in the neighbourhood (or beach, if you are one of the fortunate ones :)). This will help you to connect with yourself and breath in fresh air, especially if you are spending a lot of time indoors.
3. Get enough sleep. Especially these days we now spend so much time working and very little time sleeping. Know your body - some of us need 8 hours sleep everyday, but others might need 10.
4. Be a healthy eater. Healthy, nutritious foods are one of nature's best gifts to us. Make a habit out of consuming good foods that build your body.
5. Identify the "things" that matter to YOU. Keeping an eye on your priorities will help you make decisions about HOW you spend your time every day. Make time for yourself everyday, even if it is only a few minutes each day. Those few minutes will recharge you to be able to cope the rest of the day.
6. Change your mindset. Start focusing on the positives and show appreciation for the beauty that is around you. There are way too much negatives these days, and if that is what you are focusing on, it will absorb you Show gratitude for the little gifts in life!
7. Learn to say NO. Saying yes to everything predisposes you to burnouts, and it is bad for your physical and emotional health.
8. Spend some time with your friends and family, even if it is via zoom. Do not live on an island, be in contact with those people that are important to you.
9. If you do have some "guilty pleasures", such as chocolates, wine, cigarettes, enjoy them moderately.
10. Live your best life! You only have one life, so love yourself unconditionally.